Infection Prevention & Control (IP&C)
This annual statement will be generated each year in January. It will summarise:
- Any infection transmission incidents and actions taken (these will be reported in accordance with our significant event procedure)
- Details of any infection control audits and any actions undertaken
- Details of infection control risk assessments undertaken
- Details of staff training
- Any reviews and updates of policies, procedures and guidelines
Responsibilities within the practice:
- Infection Prevention and Control GP: Dr Amanda Murn
- Infection Prevention and control (IP&C) Nurses: Annette Woodham and Sue Lorrain
- Practice Manager: Andrew Smythe
No Significant Events have occurred as result of Infection Control
There were three audits carried out between September 2018 and July 2019:
Handling of Specimens/Sharps Audit
This audit took place in November 2018.
We scored 19 out of 20 achieving 95%. One issue arose, there were a couple of sharps containers that had not been properly labelled with date, location and signature of person assembling. All staff were informed in writing to ensure improved practice.
Infection Prevention Audit of Treatment Room and Minor Ops Environment
This audit took place in February 2019.
We scored 24 out of 26 achieving 93%.
Two issues arose from this audit:
- We continue to have carpeted flooring in some clinical environments. We have now put in place a plan to invest in clinical flooring being installed in all rooms.
- We do not have control of our own Legionella Assessments as it is the responsibility of our building landlord. Practice Manager asked for assessment details/testing to be reported back to surgery. Legionella was isolated in 3 areas of the water system in May 2019. Quality Manager at CCG and Lead Infection Control Nurse at Southern Health were informed. Practice Manager arranged for all treatment and preventative measures to be put in place and this is ongoing at the time of writing.
Management of Infection Prevention and Control
This audit took place in June 2019.
We scored 22 out of 22 achieving 100%.
There were no significant issues raised in this audit.
Annual risk assessments are carried out by Peninsula Business Services – Business Safe.
Risks that were identified: None
The implementation of annual infection control training continues. This is provided by Southern Health/Wise Guy Training for the nursing team. The GPs are responsible for their own training needs.
Either Annette Woodham or Sue Lorrain attend IP&C meetings every four months which are led by Jacky Hunt IP&C Practitioner (SHFT) to establish networks between IP&C links, promote and monitor safe infection control standards within the practice. Carry out audits within the practice and to feedback changes.
All non-clinical staff receives online training provided by Blue Stream Academy.
Policies, Procedures and Guidelines
Polices relating to Infection Prevention and Control will be reviewed on an annual basis and as current advice changes. We aim to share information with our patients and a copy of this annual statement will be available on our practice website. We will notify patients of any potential seasonal outbreaks via our patient information screen in the waiting room and on our website.
Cleaning plans/schedules have been updated and agreed with Lo cost Cleaning.
The practice manager is responsible for liaising directly with the cleaning company where there are cleaning deficiencies or any identified problems.